Which 2 nations helped to settled most of the African continent?
How did it all begin?
Comparing to Manifest Destiny- expanding US boundaries all way to Pacific Ocean in 1800's
Berlin Conference of 1885:
German Leader Otto von Bismarck invited the major European powers to decide how to divide up the African continent without the invitation of the African nations/tribes!!!
to the left you can see the results...
Impact of Imperialism:
1. Transportation/communication systems
2. Advances in agriculture
3. Education, Religion (Christian based) , concept of democracy spread into new areas
4. Mining (Cecil Rhodes) ??? do you think it was all positive
5. Better Medical care
1. Boundary changes: ethnic groups/tribes were spilt up , change resisted by natives
2. Famine- Africans were asked to grow cash crops, spent less time on growing food for themselves, lack of food supply
3. Cash crops were used for exports
4. Traditional government structures were destroyed or disrupted
5. Racial discrimination
6. Economic exploitation of African colonies
1. Spread European culture ideas
2. Controlling global economy
3. Rise of nationalism